[alfa] Crank Lock Tool - Update

Thought it time that I said thanks and updated y'all on the locking of the
crank so I can re-torque the flywheel bolts on the Alfetta.

Many thanks to all who responded to my question about how to lock the engine
so that the flywheel bolts could be torqued insitu. After many great
insitu -

1. Rope in the spark plug hole;

2. A flywheel lock tool (the factory one or possibly the VW one); and

3. A variation of the rope using a spark plug base and a rod welded to it.

I procured a length of rope and a VW tool (and considered the thread-in tool
for a while but decided against it after considering my experience over the
years with the 1600 spark plug threads) and have those sitting in the Alfetta
trunk awaiting a time for use.

While procuring said tools, I grew curious and concerned over the increasing
frequency and volume of the rattle out of the freshly rebuilt Alfetta engine
and took it to Mr. Ingram's shop for an experienced ear to hear it. It has 50
miles on it and knocks worse than anything. Loud knocks. So, off to the shop
for a diagnosis.

Many thanks to Steve Schaeffer for the use of his trailer in getting the
Alfetta to the shop. We learned a little about the placement of the front positive
stops on the trailer when trailering a 60's GTA vs a 70's GTV (Alfetta
style). With the stops set up for Steve's front engined GTA, the Alfetta's 50/50
distribution put too much weight on the back of the trailer and the van+trailer
were swaying a lot. A quick stop to roll the car forward by 6-8 inches helped
immensely and the rig settled right down.

As far as diagnosing the sound goes, neither the experienced mechanics nor
myself can find a smoking gun yet, so we're dropping the oil pan and will
inspect the lower end.

If you're so inclined, prayers would be gratefully accepted.

Tom
Seattle
6310123
7711615 (ummm, no puns about *the tart* being knocked up, please)
[to be continued ...]