[alfa] Fwrapping '89 Spider

Got several good responses-and lots of abuse- for the 17,000 RPM Spider.

It IS the timing chain. I removed the cam cover and gave it a good look. Have a slight polished look where there should not be one. The timing chain is indeed bellying out and scraping the head.

The big problem is that the tensioner no longer locks into place. With the lock bolt tight, I can press down on the chain between the cams and watch the tensioner loosen.

So the million dollar question is: What does that bolt look like? Is it the pressure of the bolt that locks the tensioner, or is there a nut of some kind on the inboard end? Namely, can I remove this bolt WITHOUT removing the head? Or will that let a nut on the end of that bolt loose inside the tensioner. I know now that I should have really looked at the tensioner when I did the head. But I didn't.....

zach
Give me a place to stand and a lever long enough and I will strip that bolt.
Archimedes, 220 BC