[alfa] RE: as the stud turns

Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2003 12:00:53 -0400
From: Scott Johnson <scott@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] As the Stud Turns...

Last time:

While attempting to change the rear brake rotors on my 71 spider, a
left-hand thread lug nut "spun out" on the stud. It would turn, but not
loosen. On advice, I drilled a hole down the side of the nut and cracked
it off.

Now, on As The Stud Turns:

Turns out the chisel ruined at least the first 3 threads of the stud,
making it impossible to put a nut on. Go to plan b: changing the studs.
Sure enough, with a slide hammer the halfshaft isn't very difficult to
remove, came right out.

However, I now have a new problem. You don't just pull the halfshaft,
you pull the halfshaft, the parking brake assembly, and the splash guard
all together. While the splash guard comes off the shaft easy enough,
there's a bearing assembly preventing the parking brake stuff from being
removed. Predictably, this parking brake stuff is *right* behind the
flange holding the studs, preventing their removal.

How to remove the bearing assembly is not immediately obvious to me.
There's a castelated ring with a lock tab on it, which I'm sure is
involved, but any time someone mentions bearings they usually mention
presses, seals, and pullers right afterward, so I'm wondering what is
involved, and what, if any, tools are required?

Once the "castellated ring" is removed, you need a special (long) tool to pull
the bearing.  I drove the assembly to my friendly Alfa mechanic (Uwe Backer) -
a long drive by the way - to have him pull the bearing.  Not wanting to repeat
the trip for reassembly, I fabricated a bearing driver out of a threaded 24
inch long, 1.25 inch pipe nipple, with a union on one end (a great fit for the
bearing surface) and a cap on the other end (to hammer on).  That seated the
new bearing just fine.  However, first look below

If I remove the parking brake shoes I *might* be able to wiggle the old
studs out and the new ones in, but there's no way I'll be able to hammer
them home. And it's a big if, and I'd rather not pull anything else
apart on an "if".

Keep turning the axle and find a spot to remove the stud.  Please don't hammer
in replacement studs, hard on bearings and can create other alignment/bending
problems. Start the stud. then get a flat washer and nut 12 x 1.5 (as opposed
to the tapered end wheel nut) and tighten down. It will pull the stud in.  If
you run out of thread, stack more washers under the nut. By the way, next time
you need to remove a stud, there are specialty tools that will push a stud
out, look like massive twin fingered "C" clamps, you may be able to borrow at
auto parts stores ( I happen to have one for trackside stud replacement).

So that's where it stands now. Is this something I can continue, or is
it time to take the halfshaft to a garage?

Been working on this since 9, so I'm taking a break. God I love my garage.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Scott Johnson
71 1750 Spider
Herndon VA