[alfa] 164 5sp help

Can anyone help? Im trying to replace the 5 speed tranny in my 91 164 with a
used unit. the used unit is in neutral
and I cant get it in gear (outside the car) is this normal or is this tranny
bad? The problem is it wont mate up to the motor
normaly one would have it in gear and twist the tranny to get the teeth to
mate but the input shaft just turns becausits in neutral. I know the clutch is
aligned because I cut the input shaft off the old tranny for an alignment
tool. So is there a trick to get the thing in gear or am I just hosed?

Thanks

Curt Norheim
Huntsville, AL