Re: [alfa] Spider Canvas Top Scotch Guard?

I coated my (several years old at that time, faded, original?, worn so thin in places you could actually see sunlight thru it) canvas top with Thompson's Water Seal (gallon can, "old" formula?) using a paintbrush. The results were startling-- several shades blacker, made it look 5 years newer, and waterproof.

It seemed to last at least a few years, until some hooligan cut it up with a knife, probably trying to steal a large suitcase that was in the "back" seat. I caught the vandal would-be thief in the act and chased him off. Little did he know the suitcase was only full of my girlfriend's dirty clothes that we had planned to take to the laundromat. Now I leave the car unlocked with nothing that looks valuable inside.

The new top is still waterproof but starting to look a little frayed and tattered along the edges, so I found the unused Thompson's Water Seal and gave this one a good coat. Darkened it up nicely. Haven't had a good rain yet to test but I bet the water will bead up on the newly coated top.

I'll probably continue to use the Thompson's Water Seal until it's used up and then try the highly regarded Renovo product.

--Caxambu
1969 Spider Veloce 1750
Seattle WA

Has anyone had any experience with treating a canvas top with any kind
of scotch guard or other waterproofing? Any recomendations, warnings,
etc. Here is a link to a product I found on the internet.
http://www.mcnett.com/page.cfm?pageID=551 Please review and comment.

Thanks,
Jason