[alfa] Re: alfa-digest V9 #840

On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 15:18:57 +0000
Joe Elliott <jee@domain.elided> wrote:

>  Gee, looks like they went ahead and included an almost-exact copy of
>  the 147's gauge cluster, too.  How nice of them.
>  http://www.autoweek.com/weekart/2003/1006/mazda3int250.jpg
>  http://www.contcars.co.nz/features/147/147_files/147_img_07_wheel_rds.jpg
>  Honestly, besides Honda's variable valve timing of 1989 (first to
>  include variable lift), has the Japanese auto industry ever done
>  anything original?

That's a rather heavy view IMHO.Certainly design-wise there have been notable
Japanese efforts. Besides, the 147, whilst fairly pretty, was not terribly
original itself. That said, a Seat launched some 18 or so months ago looked to
my eyes more like a 147 clone than the Mazda3 does.

As for technical innovations, Mitsubishi's balancer shafts come to mind, as do
active and passive four wheel steering, notably Honda & Mazda. Nissan (if I
remember correctly) also did a lot of work with ceramics in engines and
turbochargers. Then there was also the Miller-engined Mazda Millenia, and Mazda
again has done a lot of original work on the Wankel rotary concept. Mitsubishi
were also the first to have a production 5-valve per cylinder engine in a car.

I apologise for the off-topicness here, but I do get tired of the Japanese
constantly being referred to as copyists. There have been many fine Japanese
cars and enthusiasts are better off for them. Think of the outlandish Yamaha
OX99-11, Jiotto Caspita, 1989 300ZX, the Datsun 240Z, the Toyota 2000GT, the
Mazda AZ1, Honda Beat, Suzuki Cappuccino (sic) - all cars enthusiasts can get
excited about. I have a particular fondness for the wild "kei cars" - designed
to fit in strict size limitations as imposed by the Japanese government, the
more exciting versions feature 660cc turbocharged 4- or 5-valve per cylinder
engines, feature all-wheel drive and are smaller than the original Mini.

Ciao

Zak