[alfa] Transmission question

       You can remove the rear case of the transmission in the car.  Remove
the driveshaft, rear yoke, cross member and such and drop the rear of the
transmission.  You can remove the rear case to access the shift linkage.
       Reverse gear is physically located in the tail housing, so you can
access it with this method.  However, the problem with reverse gear in my 82
turned out to be the bearing on the rear of the lay shaft.  The damage to the
little reversing gear was the result rather than the cause.  To fix the lay
shaft
bearings, you need to remove the transmission.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City