[alfa] reverse gear refusal

my esteemed alfisti,
I gave advice once to an alfista who asked about his spider that jumped out
of reverse gear.  My success in making this problem go away was dramatic with
the replacement of the rear tranny mount. Now I have a decent transmission that
exhibits this bad problem again, but the shifter does not bind and the mounts
are new. I've been told that a transmission with a previous history of
shifter binding, or chronically not going completely into gear, can wear-out the
detent spring that holds the little ball into the selector rod. It seems
reasonable, then, that a repair could be effected with the topside replacement of the
spring, which is accessible from the outside of the tranny. Has anyone done
such a repair?
Desperate purposes yield crazy questions. Thanks.
modelle in Somers Point