[alfa] Re:piston slap

My Duetto had the same symptoms (knock until you removed the plug wire on #1)
when I bought it 14 yrs. ago.  It was the big end bearing on the #1 connecting
rod.  This was on a high milage 1600 that had been rebuilt more than once.
IIRC, since it was #1 I was able to check it by just dropping the lower
batwing pan.  There was bronze showing on the bearing shell when I removed it.
If this turns out to be your problem, I'm not sure why it would occur after
only 25K.  I'm assuming that's 25K after the last rebuild, not since new in
'87.  If so, are you sure the rebuilder actually did the low end?  Maybe back
then he thought the crank bearings looked okay and just did the head and
rings.  Do you let the engine warm up before venturing into higher RPMs? (This
would be the pot talking to the kettle here).  Let us know what you find.
Bill Sinclair
67 Duetto
73 Berlina