Re: [alfa] RE: 164 status

for some reason the list got added back on to your reply (i bet your mail
client is too smart for its own good). i'll make this reply on-list, on the
off chance that anyone is interested.

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 12:35:09 -0400 Jeff Greenfield <alfaguy@domain.elided> wrote:
> Check for voltage at the fuel pump wiring while the key is held in the
> 'crank' position. Remember the fuel pump only gets energized during
> cranking
> and when the engine is actually running.

this brings up a question:

when i went to install the test port in the fuel line, i placed in the
short section that runs past the timing belt cover on the passenger side of
the engine compartment. the line was dry inside (the car has been sitting
for a couple of weeks, while i got my ducks in a row and waited for the
fitting for the port to arrive from the SCCA fuel port guy.)

how long should i crank it to be sure that i have a valid (lack of)
pressure reading at the gauge? i don't really want to crawl under and start
fooling with the wiring and find nothing if i didn't crank it long enough
to get a valid pressure reading.

by the way, the same fuel pressure gauge that sears sells is also available
from NAPA (the Actron CP7818). my local storefront didn't have them, but
there were three in the Albany warehouse, so they got me one same day.
unfortunately, the SCCA fuel port guy was at the runoffs for the usual 9
day stint, so i just got my fitting yesterday, which is why the car has
been sitting so long.

richard