Re: [alfa] 5 3/4" sealed headlamps

Ben, AFAIK all Aussie round-headlight Alfettas have Carrello lights which
take H3 bulbs.  My experience is with coupes but I recall a mate's '82
Alfetta
Sportiva had the same lights as my GT(V)s.

The standard lenses have the locating pins formed into the glass at the
rear, making
replacement costly as OEM lights are all that fit.

Now some possible good news:
 I had an ex rally GT which had what I believe was a US
grille assembly with the lense holders-adjuster separate from the glass.
Any proprietary 5-3/4" lense would fit and you have a wide choice of
sealed-beam or H4 bulb types, as well as flat or dome fronted glass.  The
flat-fronted lights on my car changed the look somewhat, vaguely Lambo
Espada.

I'd go with sealed beams as the reflectors last longer, they are
water/vapour sealed, and the cost differences aren't that great.  I've
always suffered limited bulb life in my Alfettas, but the Hella equipped GT
never suffered a failure in the 4 years I owned it.  Another thing, the
outer lights on my car had both high and low beam whereas they are normally
low beam only.  The inner pair were effectively spotlights.

A review of the wiring and addition of relays will greatly enhance the
effectiveness of your headlights.

Beatle
Katherine NT
Oz