[alfa] Weber (Was..SPICA Fuel System)

I haven't owned a Spica car and so won't comment beyond voicing my concern at
there being anything on my car that only two men in the country know how to fix
when it wears out.

However, I do know a little about Webers:-

George Graves said:
>>be advised that Webers, while arguably the very best carbs available, require
a lot of fiddling to keep them running right.

This is simply untrue. The reason so many are out of tune now is that this myth
is perpetuated, causing everyone (whether a "professional" or not) to get their
flat-bade screwdriver out and start twiddling screws. Beyond a quick
synchronization check, as George described, at each oil-change (30 seconds to
check, 30 more to adjust..when necessary),  there is no adjustment necessary.
Webers stay in tune too.

and Sherwood White said:
>>weber carbs destroy motors spica injection is the way to go
They "destroy motors" do they? and the same poster later criticized the "alfa
club of america" for spreading misinformation....I subscribe to the belief that
Alfa Romeo knew more about building well-engineered cars in the '60s than just
about any other company of the day; and so their continuing with Webers on
non-USA cars for a decade demonstrates that Webers do not "destroy motors" at
all.

>>if webers wern't dirty therewould have never been spica and dirty means less
motor life in a nut shell next?
Please don't confuse dirt that could destroy an engine with an over-rich
mixture from a badly-adjusted Weber.

Those who admire the Spica system for its design-elegance (and it is pretty
amazing) would perhaps also enjoy the Weber's elegance once they got one apart
(definitely feasible for the amateur). It performs the same function with about
1/10 the number of moving parts - and that's elegant too.

Anyway...Spica? Webers? as a wise man often says, "Enjoy yours".

-Richard Lane
'67 GTV with 2xDCOE (not converted)
'68 Maserati with 4xDCNL