Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 21:08:52 +0000
From: webb.p@domain.elided
Subject: [alfa] Milano ABS fluid change

Alfisti,

I'm going to be changing the fluid on the Verde (with ABS) for the time trials this weekend. I have a couple of procedure type questions for you all.

I'm changing from Castrol LMA to Motul RBF600. Both DOT4 spec, and according to the documentation, compatible. I'm having to do this by myself so planned on the emptying the reservior first and filling with the new fluid, using the tube in the jar of fluid method for the fronts and using the ABS pump for the rears.

So my questions are:

If I fill the reservior with the new fluid and using this bleeding method, how much mixing will I get? I'd prefer to get a little as possible.

Is it worthwhile to totally evacuate the system and start with the new fluid in an empty system. And how hard is it to get all the air out if I start with a totally evacuated system. Does the ABS play any part in this decision? IOW, is it harder or easier to get all of the air out of an ABS Milano?

I'm certainly open to any better ideas or procedures.

TIA for any advice or experience.

- -Peter