Re: [alfa] Milano/GM ABS

I saw a demo on ABS recently.   With the ABS enabled, the car was put into a
panic stop with 2 wheels on wet and 2 on dry.   It stopped in a reasonable
distance and dead straight.   With ABS disabled, and the same panic stop, the
car went into a violent spin totally out of control.

I was already a fan of ABS (though I admit the Teves system is a little
primitive and prone to nasty failures).   Like you, I do much more driving on
the street than the track.  I still need to get where I'm going whether it's
raining or not.  The ABS is a nice feature to have.

On to your problems.  The GM accumulator is $102.  A pump from the same source
is about $300.   Wheel sensors are readily available.   The only part left is,
of course, the most expensive and unrepairable.  The master cylinder.

Most of the system is repairable at reasonable cost.

The failure mode of the Teves system is another element in the difficult
decision.   It can vary from leaving you with partial ABS enabled to total
failure of the power brakes.  Maybe the new pump will be a bit more tolerant of
the heat.   This is a good opportunity to change to a high temp fluid which
will help considerably.   Something with a dry boiling point over 500degF.

Reading the Rich Hirsh piece on the StL AROC site, it sounds as expensive and
labourious to change over as to maintain the ABS.  Especially with the cheaper
parts now available.

my $.02

-Peter