RE: [alfa] Spider heater not hot

>>snip -- I am assuming that the gunk has clogged the heater radiator. Putting
aside my feelings of stupidity for actively breaking my car, what should I
try before I spend another $1000 on labor to remove, clean out and reinstall
the heater core? Coolant flush? Thanks.-- unsnip>>

Here are a couple of things you can try before removing the heater core (try to avoid that at all costs):

Check the heater temp control mechanism to see if it is properly opening and closing the actual heater valve. The cable clamp or the arm on the valve could have loosened.

I cleared a plugged heater core (in place) recently in a non-Alfa by removing the heater hoses at the: a) Intake manifold, and b) Water pump, then forcing the end of a pistol-grip garden hose nozzle against one of the hoses and letting the water pressure from the hose force the gunk out. Took a few seconds until the ugly gunk finally burbled out, then ran clear. Reconnected the hoses and the heater worked better than great! Worth a try if you think the heater core is plugged. Make sure the heater valve is wide open, and obviously wait until the engine cools sufficiently before unhooking the heater hoses.

Hard to imagine the stop leak would clog the heater core but maybe if it was partially clogged already?

Otherwise, rev high-- I think the 105 waterpumps don't put out that much flow at low revs.

--Caxambu
1969 Spider Veloce 1750, Heater starting to become important again (nights).
Seattle WA