[alfa] Re: alfetta tach

Allen Mitchell writ thusly:

"With regard to a centrally placed tach and offset speedo: if you are
veryfamiliar with your car, you should have a pretty good (exact?) idea
howfast you are going, based on the gear you are in, and the RPM.  In
fact,based on the spotty performance of some speedos I have encountered,
youmight be better off just paying attention to your tach (provided it is
not too spotty also).  Then, when the police officer asks you how fast
you were going, you can say: "6300 RPM in 4th gear, sir."

Apologies to older readers who have read this umpteen times before, but
here it is: our Milano's speedometer croaked almost five years ago, and
we've never gotten around to figuring out why. As its readings tended to
be sort of approximate, while the tach is pretty much on the money, I
prefer to use the tach in lieu of the missing instrument anyway. MPH per
1k RPM in the top four gears runs right at 10, 14, 18 and 22, and I find
it no hassle at all to multiply indicated RPMs by those numbers to
ascertain my speed. My wife lacks this easy computative ability, so I
advise her to just keep the car in 4th at 2000 around town, as that's
near-as-dammit 35 and you won't get in trouble at that speed.

The real downside is the lack of an odometer...

Will Owen
Pasadena, CA