[alfa] Re: Clutch Replacement

Marc,

> Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 23:43:29 -0400
> From: "Marc Grenier" <giulia2000@domain.elided>
> Subject: [alfa] Clutch Replacement
>
> I am the proud owner of a 74 GTV 2000 which is beginning to show signs of
> clutch slippage.  Assuming that I will have to replace the clutch at some
> point in the not to distant future, I have a few questions for those
> digesters
> who are a bit more mechanically knowledgeable than me.  Any help would be
> greatly appreciated.
>
> First question concerns the flywheel.  Some suggest it should be re-surfaced
> and even re-balanced when replacing the clutch.
> I would think that re-surfacing is essential but what about the extra
> machine
> shop cost of re-balancing the wheel as well.  Any views on this?

Resurfacing is a good idea.  Rebalancing is probably overkill unless you are
going to race the car.

> Second question concerns a recommendation made by the late-Pat Braden in
> his
> Alfa Owner's Bible.  Pat wrote that to replace the clutch, one should remove
> the engine and gearbox as a unit form the car.  "This may seem unreasonably
> major, but, having personally tried removing the engine and the transmission
> individually, I can assure you that the removal of both items as a unit will
> prove to be the fastest way to get the job done."  (Braden, Owner's Bible,
> p.
> 151).  Do you agree?

Hmmmm........  I respect Pat's expertise.  But if I'm not going to rebuild
the engine too, I prefer to jack the car up high enough to get access and drop
the transmission from the rear.  A scissors transmission floorjack from
Northern Tools helps if it's a one man job.

> Finally, Braden also suggests replacing the "throwout bearing" at the same
> time when replacing the clutch.  I checked the IAP parts catalogue and they
> list the following as transmission bearings:

YES!  This is a must!  Replace the throwout bearing and pilot bearing.  Check
the clutch fork, spring retainer and pivot for wear.

> - - the front input shaft bearing
> - - the rear input shaft cage bearing
> - - the front main shaft bearing
> - - the center main shaft bearing
> - - the rear main shaft bearing
> - - the front lay shaft bearing
> - - the rear lay shaft bearing
>
> Perhaps the answer is obvious to most but which one of the above corresponds
> to the "throwout bearing" that Braden is referring to?

Nope.  These are the bearings inside the transmission.  The throwout (aka
release bearing) and pilot bearing (goes into the back of the crankshaft) should
be listed in the clutch and pressure plate section of the catalog.

But depending on how many miles you have, you should check (or have checked)
the condition of the transmission.  If your transmission bearings are going,
this will cause excess wobble of the input shaft of the transmission.  This in
turn will cause excess stress on the hub section of the clutch and ultimately
cause it to fracture.  Louis Le or I can tell you all about that!

> Marc Grenier
> Ottawa, Canada

Good Luck!
Charlie