RE: [alfa] Clutch Replacement

> Perhaps the answer is obvious to most but which one of the above corresponds
> to the "throwout bearing" that Braden is referring to?

IAP list it as a clutch release bearing, part #22100200.
Definitely replace it.

> Pat wrote that to replace the clutch, one should remove
> the engine and gearbox as a unit form the car.

Six of one, half dozen of the other.  Depends how you get under your car.  If you only have axle stands, as is usually the case, and no hoist or pit, it's much more comfortable to pull the engine and 'box as a unit.

> I would think that re-surfacing is essential but what about the extra machine
> shop cost of re-balancing the wheel as well.

If you're replacing the pressure plate as well, then you really should have the pressure plate and flywheel balanced as a unit.  If not replacing the pressure plate, don't re-balance them, they're already balanced.  Don't replace the pressure plate unless the diaphragm spring has lost its springiness.

Regards,
Anthony White
Wellington, NZ.