From: owner-alfa@domain.elided [mailto:owner-alfa@domain.elided] On Behalf Of Mark
Denovich
Sent: Monday, September 22, 2003 9:03 PM
To: Alfa Digest
Subject: Re: werde t/a whine (was: [alfa] Two steps forward, one step back)

Joe Elliott wrote:

> My buddy's Milano made a noise like that when he got it, which we
> assumed was the diff.  All I know for sure is that it went away when he
> had the whole transaxle replaced with a used one to cure the shot
synchros.

After the commute home, and a trip shopping, I'm not exactly sure what
the source of the noise is.  I will say that a working 2nd gear synchro
is pure joy, and the non-rusty shift linkage is like butta.

Anyway, the sound I heard this evening has a resonant quality that
doesn't seem to fit what I know gear whine to sound like.  It does not
seem to change pitch with RPM (or at all... just on or off.)  I'm
begining to suspect a weird woodwind like resonance in the exhaust.

I still have lots of things to sort out... after this weekend it will be
a bit more clear what I need to do.

--Mark
The Alfa Wiki: http://alfa.denovich.org