[alfa] Re: water under seats, carpets, etc.-Spiders

Just my two cents worth, dealing with water infusion problems.  Replacing the
windshield and gasket seemed to cure most of my problems, although I did
replace cowl drain hoses, etc.  It is difficult to tell where water comes in
because the water seems to seek the lowest point and gets pushed back when
driving.  I would suggest turning a hard stream of water on the windshield
around the gasket to check if any water is coming in.  When I inspected the
old windshield gasket, there was much dirt in the windshield channel.  I think
this acted as a wick to draw in rain; especially when rains were heavy and
driving.  I suppose if the gasket is in good shape, one could remove the glass
and  gasket, and then thorougly clean the gasket.  I would then replace the
gasket using polyurethane sealant designed for windshields.  One can buy this
at a glass shop that does auto windshields.  3-M makes one product.
Cosmetically, it blends in well with the rubber, so if done right it appears
to be a part of the gasket.  Make sure you get the solvent/cleaner designed
for this adhesive because it is difficult to clean up without it.
It is getting harder to get the hoses that drain the cowling and rear of the
convertible top.  I found using any kind of bulk hose resulted in wrong
diameter, difficult to bend, and major kinking which would obstruct the flow
of water.  By chance when I installed a dishwasher, I found the drain hose
extension I purchased would work well.  It has raised ribs which run across
the hose (not lengthwise) about every 1/2 inch; this prevents the kinking no
matter what kind of bend you are making.  I think some types of washing
machine drain hose might work too; check an appliance repaire shop.  One end
of the hose had various diameters of a softer compound which could be cut  off
to fit the size of the pipe receptacle in use.
last, I purchased a an ARA? video from a Digester some years ago made for
official Alfa servicing.  This was helpful and talked about all the different
sources of leaks including how the windows fit against the soft top.  They
suggested setting up a sprinkler on top of the softop and letting run to check
for leaks.  The video also discussed checking/sealing the sheet metal seems
where the cowling and firewall metal come together.  One really has to seal
this from inside with body panel sealant/adhesive with the glove box and
instrument cluster out.  (I don't think mine was leaking there, but I sealed
it anyhow.)  I would also run water against the side windows to make sure the
doors are draining possibly; the drain holes could be clogged or the sheet
plastic behind the interior panels could be torn.

Paul Steffy '88 Spider