[alfa] After Market Air in a Spider

In a message dated 9/17/2003 8:18:39 PM Central Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 21:13:22 -0400
> From: Forza <headroom@domain.elided>
> Subject: [alfa] After Market Air in a Spider
>
> Hello again,   I've been looking around for another car, I had hoped for an
> Alfa Sedan, something with air (my 86 Spider has none).  After driving some
> new cars and some old I come to the conclusion that the car I want to drive
> is my Spider.  Now the question is ...Can I get a good (Cold) air system
> installed in the Spider.  I've heard from many Spider owners with Stock
> systems and the word is "they work, but just barely"..
>
> Has anyone installed or knows of a system which uses a modern compressor
> and has a good strong blower.  I live in South Florida and I need air that
> work and works well...  Any of you FLA people who are aware of a shop that
> specializes in this type of work...please, please forward this info to me.
>
> Still looking for a hard top to complete the enclosed air conditioned
> space.. Please keep me in mind..
>
> Many Thanks
> Gabriel Forzano
> Coral Springs, Fl

       I thought all 86 spiders had air conditioning.  Is yours a Graduate?
I agree that the early air conditioners were marginal at best.  The two 87
spiders we had were OK.  Our two 91 spiders are better, but nothing to write home
about.
       The air conditioner compressor on the Bosch spider fits on the
passenger side of the engine on top of the bat wing oil pan.  That is a good
location.  I see no reason to not put the compressor there again.  I would fit a belt
tensioner from a Milano as I do not like the spider's split pulley with shim
adjustment.
       But what compressor to use?  There have to be plenty of compressors
from Buicks, Suburbans, etc. in junk yards that would fit fine.  Heck the dash
air conditioning on my diesel pusher motorhome has a compressor that looks like
it will fit.
       I have promised my wife that the 74 GTV in the garage will have air
conditioning.  It appears to have had air conditioning from the factory (there
is some controversy that Alfa never offered air in 1974, but mine appears to
have factory air.  So what to do to improve it?  Is the evaporator the key?  Or
the condenser?  Or what?
       Any air conditioning experts out there?  I have been tempted to just
call Vintage Air and get a unit designed for a Hot Rod.

  Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City