[alfa] springs, coolant, comments...

Just trying to catch up...

D- one problem, its impossible to get rear springs for anything other than a Spider. Tried for my GTV and failed... But, don't despair. You can get spring spacers that are the correct diameter that should get the rear to the perfect height that you want. Does your car have the spring "hats" on the top? If not, that will be a good start. The other option is to go with a non Alfa spring, which may not be that easy- who out there knows what the correct: diameter, rate, resting length of the Berlina's rear springs? If they are the correct diamter (like the front ones are) you could get virtually any length and rate from a stock car race shot...

Guy- your 156 might be operating perfectly. I know, it sounds crazy, especially at the rather warm 110C (230F). Our 164 runs up to 105C before the high speed fan comes on.... Not that I know modern Alfa's that well, just modern EFI. Quite a few cars are supposed to run up to 120C without any issue. The big problem with Alfa's is that their temp guage reads the actual temp... Ford's are "in range" between 190 and about 240, and don't start getting into the warm range until about 250 (all F). As long as the fan comes on, the engine does not get any hotter, AND (big AND) you are NOT loosing coolant, it might be all right.

Silicon fluid- ok, it not absorbing water, all the seals are working, and the reservoir is sealed as well. How is water getting in and settling to the bottom? I've been running DOT 5 for some time now, no evidence of water or rust. I have problems at the track, yes, but that has nothing to do with water. When my GTV goes back to being a normal street car (after the project is done) it will ride with DOT 5. I should consult with a friend of mine who works in the braking industry...

Eric Storhok
Ann Arbor, MI

AROC Detroit Homepage: http://www-personal.umich.edu/~alfa/index.htm