[alfa] Re:Overheating 156

I'm just wondering here if the problem you have is nothing more than an
over-reading temperature gauge.  I had exactly this on one of our four Skodas
and there was absolutely nothing wrong with the car, and it did it
consistently from the day I bought it to the day I sold it. Three years on the
owner still gives me a friendly wave, so its still going strong at 90k plus
miles.

You have done nearly all the diagnostics you can, so all I can suggest is that
you rig up another gauge to check the cars overall temperature, and make sure
the radiator fan is kicking in. Does the fan kicking in bring the temperature
gauge down? On my 164TS the gauge can be made to perform various tricks if I
get stuck in traffic. I watch it climb until a) the fan cuts in b) I've had
enough (its never ever boiled or anything) then I turn the heater full on to
bleed off the heat and watch the temperature come down again. It just shows
everything is working as it should.

I cant recall if you have put a new radiator in. This may be the problem, but
I would be surprised as age is the main enemy of Alfa radiators. I cant speak
for 156, but for 164 six or seven years is the usual radiator life in the UK.

This response is a bit rambling, but hope it is some help.

Tim Hancock    Boston UK

164TS
164 Super

P.S Apropos of nothing... I always called my Vacuum cleaner J Edgar rather
than the more formal Hoover. These days in the UK the use of Hoover has been
somewhat supplanted by the name Dyson as in "I've got a Dyson...Yah Boo". Its
still a Vacuum cleaner however and you still need a servant to operate the
damn thing (wish wish)