[alfa] Overheating 156

Hi, I mentioned this overheating problem a little while ago and got various
bits of advice.
Having now tried the  various things sugested, I am still left with an
overheating car and am looking for further opinions about the likely cause.

The car is a 4 year old, high mileage (137,000) 156 TS 2.0l.  It has been
fully serviced and maintained by an Alfa main agent in the UK.  Never missed a
service ever 6,000 and always with 300 miles of the due mileage.

It has a tendancy to run hot. That is with the guage on 3/4 (110degrees)
rather than on the mid-point of the scale (90 degrees)
At a steady 70 it will run approximately on the mid-point of the scale.  If I
slow down for traffic or climb a hill the needle rises to beyond 3/4 mark, and
occasionally so that the red warning light comes on.  Ambient temp round here
is 55 to 65 degrees F at this time of year. It is not loosing coolant.

The fan is coming on, although I find it difficult to tell exactly when whilst
driving as I cannot hear it. I maybe need to rig up an indicator lamp so I
know when it is running.

I have emptied and back flushed the radiator and complete system.  It was
pretty clean (no sediment) and water seems to flow freely through the rad
core.  The radiator seems fine to me.

I removed the thermostat and boiled it up on the kitchen stove with a jam
thermometer.  It began opening at about 82 degrees and was fully open by about
105 degrees. It closed evenly as I let it cool down again.  I think that is as
it should be.

I am running out of ideas.

Guy