[alfa] Re: Suspension bolt torque disaster

Jon,

1 & 2.  I would clamp the pan in place with a good "C" Clamp before removing
those bolts.

3.  Sorry, can't help with that one.

4 & 5.  You need to have the calibration checked on that torque wrench.
Especially if it is a "Clicker" Type.  They go out of calibration with great
regularity and even more so if you store them with tension on the adjuster
spring.  In the aviation business, it is required to get torgue wrenches
calibrated on a regular basis (every few months) and I would not dare to guess
how many are rejected because they are beyond repair and won't adjust.
    If you want a fairly economical torque wrench for home use, get a
"Deflective Beam" type with the torque you most commonly use at it's
mid-scale. They are a PIA to use sometimes, but they seem to stay in cal a lot
better.  All torque wrenches are only accurate at mid range and vary a lot at
extreme ends of their range.
    If your torque wrench turns out to be OK, then probably somebody
overtorqued those fasteners before you got to them.  Dirty threads won't cause
them to strip, rather it will cause them to reach their torque before they are
actually as tight as they should be.
    Or, if your torque wrench turns out to be bad, then you have the problem
of what to do with that engine you just put together with it.  Ouch!!!
Skip Patnode
67 Duetto
Norfolk, Va