[alfa] Front spring orientation

Hey all..

Getting about ready to put back in my springs, and it occurred to me, is there any special orientation that they should go in?

I noticed that they seem to have a "set", just standing on the concrete floor, where they seem to lean to one side. Should that "lean" go a certain way, or should it even be there?

I know with the rubber pad and thin metal shim, they kinda get leveled, and the thick shim flattens the bottom of the spring pan, so they could go pretty much any which way, but was wondering if there was a preffered way? I'd guess with the "lean" inward to the center of the car... or maybe if that lean isn't supposed to be there, if I put them in with the lean out I might pick up a bit more spring strength?

The other question, I have lengths from the 80's Spider shop manual stating 12.58" thereabouts for the free length, how exactly should one measure for this? With the open end design of the spring it's hard to say where the "ends" are. My concern is trying to determine if they have sagged any, and perhaps need replacement.

(PS the car has been on jackstands for months, and I don't remember the ground clearance before the suspension came off)

Thanks in advance,
Jon and Marcia (back under the car again)
77 Spider
Irvine CA