[alfa] RE: 164 fuel leaks and fire hazard

Some further input on this issue...

1) The correct hose is 8mm I.D. Fuel Injection Hose.  Another alternative
(aside from the auto parts store), is the Nissan dealer, as most Nissans of
the late 80's and early 90's use this size hose, and the hose used on the
Nissans is of very good quality, unlike the garbage Alfa used.  Nissan also
spec'd a high quality stainless steel hose clamp.  That's what you'll find
under by hood exclusively these days - they are readily "sourced" from a
junkyard if you're so inclined - 240SX, 300ZX, Maxima, etc are all suitable
donors.

2) I'm inclined to agree with Jeff's suggestion about the temperature of the
exhaust system being too "cold" behind the catalytic converted to ignite
fuel.  The cat itself and manifold are surely hot enough to auto-ignite, but
"south" of the cat, I'm not so sure.  This does raise suspicion about the
real cause of the fire.

Brad