RE: Re[2]: [alfa] 164 fuel leaks and fire hazard

Richard & All -

I've been staying out of this one ... but since Richard has addressed me
directly ...

Regarding the under hood fuel leaks which appear to be all too common on the
164's, personally, I feel that this is more an issue of the hoses being
replaced with the incorrect hoses and/or clamps, rather than a design flaw.
Although I have been working on Alfas for over 20 years, I'm not as familiar
with the 164's as I am with some of the other models, so I don't know hat
was used originally and whether this area was prone to problems as the car
was when it left the factory.

As has been discussed on the list many times in recent history, the proper
fuel hose is in fact available from your local BMW dealer, part #: 13 31 1
469 781 will get you 1 meter. This should be enough for all the lines under
the hood.

The hose clamps that I use are a VW part (just so happens that local BMW
dealer is also VW, so they stock these under the VW part #). The part number
is: n-024-122-2. You cannot use a conventional worm type hose clamp here as
it will damage the hose and the more you tighten it, the more it will damage
the hose.

There are other areas of the fuel system on a 164 that are a bad design and
prone to problems, primarily the whole fuel pickup/level sender/pre-pump and
the connections to it.

As for how the fuel lines are routed, I have not looked at this.

I'm curious does anyone know at what temperature gasoline ignites and what
is the typical temperature of an automotive exhaust system? I could be
completely wrong about this (wouldn't be the first time), but my feeling is
that the exhaust is not hot enough to ignite the fuel, which leads me to
believe that a spark would be required to send a car up in flames
spontaneously, no?

Jeff