Re[2]: [alfa] 164 fuel leaks and fire hazard

On Sun, 07 Sep 2003 08:39:30 -0700 Nicky Avery <nicky@domain.elided> wrote:
> After buying my car with incorrectly sized flexible tubing installed and
> going through the gas spraying over the motor scenario, I concluded that
> tightening the hose clamps is part of routine maintenance and it's
> simple enough to do. Using the correct tubing is also a good start.

when Jeff Greenfield had my 164 for a little while, he 1) installed the
correct fuel line, which is actually readily available from bmw dealers,
among others and 2) installed a different style of hose clamp which he
feels doesn't tend to loosen. i haven't had to tighten them in the 9 months
since i got the car back. perhaps jeff will post identifying the specific
type of clamp he used and where he got them from.

> Problems concerning hoses around the tank appear to be less common from
> what listers said.

i've got leaks back there that so far have resisted a cure. i'd like to get
that fixed some time soon; right now, i simply refrain from filling more
than 1/2 way to keep the smells down.

richard