[alfa] distributor advance curve and timing

I was hoping that someone in the list can explain this
mystery to me.  According to the alfa shop manual as
well as Alfa Ricambi's catalog, most distributors
fitted to the 2lt engines have a max mechanical
advance of at most 18deg (my marelli-plex has a max
advance of 12deg) that is reached near or before
2500rpm.  Therefore, in order to get a max advance of
about 38deg as suggested by Wes' SPICA manual, the
static advance should be about 20deg advanced...
(20+18=38)... However, static timing is supposed to be
somewhere near 5deg... What gives??? Am I missing
something?

PS.  In order to get the max advance correct on my
marelli-plex equiped gtv, I get about 23deg advance at
idle (8-900rpm) which seems a bit excessive.

Thanks a lot,
Vangelis
Mountain View, CA
73 gtv