Dean
Lutz, FL
'74 & '87 Spider Veloce's

At 07:47 AM 9/4/2003, you wrote:

Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 19:35:43 -0700
From: "Jeff Thraen" <Jeff@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] Fuel delivery problem?

I recently got my Berlina back on the road after a one year restoration.
This was proceeded by a 10 year hibernation, but I digress.

Back to the point.  The car runs very well except after using up the first 2
to 3 gallons of fuel.  Then it develops a miss.  It loses power.  As soon as
you top of the gas tank, the car runs great.  We drove the car from Los
Angeles to Monterey for Concorso Italiano like this.  We stopped for gas
every 50 miles!

So, I suspected that there was something foul in the fuel tank, so today I
drained it.  Actually I pumped it out.  I just removed the line from the
front filter and pumped it directly into the gas cans.  Interestingly, the
fuel ran clear and steady.  I did notice that there were a stream of air
bubbles that would appear occasionally in the stream of fuel.  I would
imagine that this is the problem.  I would not think that the fuel injection
pump would appreciate all of the air in the fuel supply.

Does anyone have a clue as to where this would be coming from?  I have
replaced all of the flexible fuel lines.  I should also note that there are
not any leaks, that I can find visibly, but occasionally I do notice a
slight fuel odor.

Before I go off the deep end and just start replacing everything, can any
one offer any suggestions on where to start?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff Thraen