[alfa] Fwd: starter stuff

From: GModelle@domain.elided
Full-name: GModelle
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 19:29:38 EDT
Subject: starter stuff
To: iachella@domain.elided

I just replaced the starter in my spider a few days ago. It wasn't so bad as
R and R'ing the heater fan in a GTV, but some preparation will go a a long way
to Alfa satisfaction!  Assuming you're sure the starter is the culprit, first
clear the path to the unit by removing the stuff that might get in the way of
your access. Disconnect the battery by removing one of the cables from a
terminal. If you're car has carbs, the center support strut should be taken off
and you'll be removing the windshield washer reservoir and the induction bits
that in my case were the air cleaners. Disconnect the oil pressure sender wire
and the black 12 ga positive and the cable by it's bolt. Disconnect the spaded
starter circuit. Move stuff around to generally make maneuvering a little
easier.
The starter may have a bracket that attaches to the engine mount. On some
cars this has to go together (or come apart) in a certain sequence. If there is
no bracket on the front of the motor, be thankful. The motor is held to the
bellhousing by three bolts. One is shouldered so that it creates a relatively
precision fit to set gear tooth clearance. This is the middle bolt. It is 14 mm,
while the other two are 13mm. Don't ask why...who knows. You'll need every
13mm wrench in your box to get the right combination in this confined space.
Break them loose with a long-handled box wrench, then get wider arcs with a short
handled one. Try not to twist the copper grounding cable. It's somewhat
fragile. What really helps in the disassembly is a pair of needle-nose vice-grips
that you can use to arrest the other side of the fastener so it doesn't spin.
The starter motor comes out with a little muscle, it's always heavier than you
think.
modelle in somers point