RE: [alfa] Front spring removal

> With the jack under the spring pan, when I remove the last bolt from
the pan to
> the a-arm, the car might launch itself upward as the spring
uncompresses, with
> nothing keeping tension between the pan and the a-arm holes.   As the
car
> launches itself upward, the jack comes off the pan and I end up in
hospital.

You'll kill yourself using the floor jack under the pan.

Use the threaded rod to replace two of the four bolts holding the spring
pan in place (replace bolts that are diagonally opposite each other).
Snug up the bolts on the threaded rod, then remove the other two bolts.
Then gradually back off the pressure by backing the nut back down the
threaded rod.

Pray that you got threaded rods that are long enough..

Installation is the reverse..

As Jeff says, there is no substitute for the factory tool.

bs