[alfa] Spark Plugs

I was trying to diagnose the flat spots in my 1750 with a 79 Spica Pump and I
was checking the color on the spark plugs, NGK 7BPES. Since I couldn't
determine what part of the color was old and what was new I decided to put in
a new set of Lodge HL's I had. Somewhat surprisingly the flat spots were gone
with the new set of plugs. The old set wasn't that old (~2000 miles) and
didn't look that bad. I've never thought that there was much difference in
spark plugs with a properly tuned engine but is it possible that the Lodge's
are more forgiving of a poor mixture? Would the same hold true for those
expensive Bosch Platinum 4's? BTWT car has the older Centerline Electronic
ignition which I don't believe has a higher spark energy than stock. I do
remember that if I didn't use the Lodge's on my old 69 GTV the plugs would
foul within several hundred miles but that car had a worn Spica pump.

How does one read the spark plug color? Mine were white to light brown on the
center electrode ceramic (just right to a little lean?), black on the outer
metal ring (too rich?), and the metal electrodes had some reddish brown spots
that looked burnt (back to lean?).

Mitch Wolberg,
Denver, CO
69 Berlina