Re: [alfa] 105 GT 1600: Humming Rear Axle

Only thing I can tell you is that I had the same thing happen to a truck
of mine. At about 35/40 mph you had a nice steady whine just singing away.
Very annoying. It happened after it flooded and I got some water in my
rear diff. Even though I had it drained and cleaned and new fluid put in
almost immediately, the damage had been done driving it to work that one
day I had to drive it. Drove it for several thousand miles singing like
that before finally having a rebuilt rear diff installed.

I'd say your mechanic is right on. As to how hard they are to
repair/rebuild, I can't help you there.