[alfa] Giulia Super Clutch Problem

Riddle me this, Alfisti:

I have a '66 Giulia Super with the mechanical clutch. The other morning, the
car refused to go into any gear -- pushing the lever into a gear results in
a grinding sound and no engagement.

Looking underneath the car, the linkage is intact -- the clutch cable is
unbroken, and has been tightened as far as it will go (i.e., so the cable is
as short as possible).

Any and all help in diagnosing this problem would be appreciated -- I've
dealt with many hydraulic clutch issues, but this mechanical clutch is new
to me.

Joe Fillip
Swarthmore, PA