Re: [alfa] Mods to sell in USA : Was - 164 Euro Tail Lights

I think James Montebello may have missed the point of John Justus' post. Or maybe I did.

In any case, there was never a law in the USA requiring 'American style' turn signals. However, I believe there are laws in several European countries requiring independently operated amber turn signals. Some USA-spec 3.0 Milanos, for example, have independently-operated red turn signals that you won't see in some European countries (perhaps not on any Euro model at all). I think Alfa probably felt that the 164 looked better with all-red rear lamps, so they did it that way where it was legal (USA). Why they went to the trouble of implementing American style turn signals I really don't have a good explanation for, especially considering that starting in 1986 USA-spec cars were required to have CHMSL's (that's the third brake light--Center High Mounted Stop Light, officially--thank you Elizabeth Dole) which are a pain to implement unless the car already has independently-operated turn signals. Maybe somebody at Alfa thought that the Euro-spec lights on the 164 compromised the area of the brake lights. Actually, now that I think about it, there may be a law in the USA dictating a minimum area for some of the rear lights. (Remember the changes that were made to the classic Jaguar XJ6's rear light clusters at some point in its long production life?) That would explain it. With separate turn signals, the total area of the 164's rear light clusters was inadequate to meet the area requirements in the USA--by going to half as many independent lights, they could make them twice as big, meeting the USA requirements. In Europe on the other hand, they didn't have to worry about an area requirement, but were required to have independently operated amber turn signals. So the 164's rear styling dictated two different light clusters to meet two different sets of regulation--an issue that other cars didn't have because they had more total area available for the rear light clusters.

-Joe