Valve Lash ?

I was checking my valve lash the other day and noticed that the maximum
clearance is not when the lobe points straight up on an axis
perpendicular to the valve stem but when the valve lobe is in a more
horizontal position to the tappet.  There's a .003" greater clearance
with the lobes almost horizontal.  The reason I tried it this way is
because I was checking my sons Nissan 240sx after a cam replacement and
that's how the workshop manual said it should be done.  My question is,
should I set the clearance where it is maximum or should I set them with
the lobes straight up as per the Alfa workshop manual?  These are
Shankle 8L cams on a 1750 if that makes any difference.

Regards,

Frank Formeister
1750 Alfa-Healey