RE: alfa-digest V9 #745

> Even found a website from the AlfaWebRing,  in California: someone who

> lightens gears.......My local Amoco gas station mechanic said he could
do it all
> himself----even has drills and lathes in his shop......and he's just a
local gas
> station guy in a strip mall shopping center 5 mins. from my house.

Very worthwhile mod.  As far as I'm concerned, this should be a routine
mod to any gearbox during a rebuild, the reduced load on the synchros
alone will extend the life such that you won't have to replace synchros
again for a very long time.

The change in shifting is pretty dramatic, after I did mine I could not
get the gears to grind, no matter how much I tried.

As for your local garage being able to do the job, I'm not sure I'd
trust it to them.  The gears are hardened, and require special bits to
do the job.  Even then, a slight slip and you've just ruined an $80 bit.

You want the gears drilled and back cut, btw.

I've had a couple of boxes done by Tom Sahines, with great results.
There's one more in progress..

HTH,

bs