Re: gear lightening

CLeopold@domain.elided wrote:

My local Amoco gas station mechanic said he could do it all
himself----even has drills and lathes in his shop......and he's just a local gas station guy in a strip mall shopping center 5 mins. from my house.

Is this a good thing to do, or would I just end spending the same money on an all new (rebuilt) tranny?
The gears are case hardened, and made of an alloy that is generally very hard to cut. It work hardens easily.

I've considered doing it myself... I've got a lathe and a mill, but I don't think they are beefy enough (no I skilled enough) to do the job well. Unless I update my shop before then, I'm going to have someone else do it.

It should make a dramatic difference in shifting. Slipperier oil isn't the answer... it just makes the synchro's job that much harder.

--Mark
The Alfa Wiki: http://alfa.denovich.org