re: Donations

At 2:31 AM +0000 8/27/03, alfa-digest wrote:
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 15:50:53 -0700 (PDT)
From: Erik G Wood <genericwood@domain.elided>
Subject: Donations

Richard, I have benefitted from the digest for years and just sent a contribution. But this discussion did get me thinking. Is there a benefit of the "digest" format as it stands versus the services offered by YahooGroups, Topica and others (other than the advertisements on Yahoo that is)? I have memberships in Alfa forums on all three.
Erik Wood
I have to step in here.

I made my (unfortunately small) donation, but would not have done so for a web-based forum.

There are web-based Alfa discussion forums out there that I don't take the time to read or contribute to because they just take too much time. It doesn't matter how fast computers or internet access gets, the convenience of a listserv/digest discussion is unrivaled. Call me old-fashioned, but I can't imagine checking a web page every day and choosing which thread subjects look like they might be worth clicking on. I leave my email client open all the time and it checks my email every 20min, so I know when there's new Alfa material to read, and in digest format I can scroll through it all without wasting too much time, reading what's of importance to me and skimming the rest without totally ignoring what appears to be irrelevant to me but may not be. I'm not about to leave a browser window open all day and write a script to re-load the page every x minutes.

The email format of the Alfa digest also makes it usable when I'm on the road. All I need is a telnet client (VT100 terminal in a hillbilly public library for example) and I can send requests for help off to the digest and check for replies. Likewise, if I've got my 8-year-old laptop with me, it can read email as well as any other computer, but it's hopeless with most modern web pages. When I'm in a hotel room and possibly paying $$$ for phone time, I want to be able to disconnect before I take the time to read all the posts. Can't do that with a web-based forum.

Forgive me if this discussion is already underway on the offtopic list, but I've chosen not to get involved in another online discussion group for time reasons.

Just my opinion, but I hope I'm not alone,
Joe Elliott
'82 GTV-6 (wouldn't still be on the road w/out the Alfa Digest!!)