Re[2]: GTV-6 Track Time

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 09:53:37 EDT Mcmahonmik@domain.elided wrote:

> I'm not sure how sturdy the bulkhead mount would be - but in general you
> want
> the shoulder strap going horizontal back to a nice solid support.  This
> is
> likely a requirement for organizing bodies - can Richard speak to SCCA
> specs?

since we require a main hoop, we can require other things.

a lateral bar is required at shoulder height in an SCCA roll cage. it must
run from the left side to the diagonal, and there must be a continuation
from the diagonal to the right side. in general, we want to see either the
shoulder harness wrapped around the lateral (best), or looping over it to
reach an attachment point. as i said, a steep drop in the harness will
create potential for compression fractures to the spine. too long a run
creates a risk if the car gets badly damaged in the rear and "changes
shape", the harness can loosen up unacceptably as part of a larger really
awful crash.

there are also seat mounting issues to consider. for our street/track cars,
we generally retain the stock style seat mountings, toothed sliders and
all. in a car with a cage, if we have this style of mounting and we back
into something really hard (guardrail, concrete wall), then we have a very
genuine risk of sheering off the teeth in the sliders, and the seat then
moves back and the driver and seat become involved with the roll cage in a
very unfortunate way. such accidents have killed drivers at track events.
so if you put in a cage, be sure to rethink your seat mounting.
adjustability is nice, but living is nice too.

richard