Maserati ...

>>Of course, this car has the distinction of being a REAL Maserati with
>>that lovely twin-cam V-8. Unfortunately, in terms of quality, the
>>Bi-Turbo or any of it's ilk have little to do with the great road-going
>>Masers of the 50's, 60's, and 70's. The bodies started to rust before
>>they even left the factory, the engines are a nightmare: It's almost
>>impossible to properly adjust the valves (two valves operating off the
>>same cam lobe and getting the valve lash on both equal is a horror
>>story unto itself); they are prone to blowing head gaskets, cracking
>>blocks and heads, and the only source for parts is some outfit in the
>>state of Washington and they REALLY soak it to you). An Alfa V-6 in
>>either a GTV-6 or a Milano is a much better proposition (and, you won't
>>get mistaken for a nondescript Datsun on the road, either).

Actually a well tuned Quattroporte is reliable.  On the other hand I go back
to my just not worth restoring.  They simply have no resale value.  If you
want something to play with you can purchase a Quattroporte cheap.

The "place in Washington state"  MIE has dropped prices considerably since
they were bought out.  Also there are now several over very active suppliers
of Maserati parts in the US.  On the other hand a water pump for a
Quattroporte is still going to set you back $650 or so.

Rodney Haas
rhaas@domain.elided Plano, TX USA
http://www.maffiacarclub.com
Maserati, ALFA, Ferrari, FIAT, Italian Automobiles

67 Maserti Mexico
72 Maserati Euro Indy
73 Ferrari 365 GT4 2+2
81 Fiat Spider