Re: 164 Euro Tail Lights

Euro cars were designed for separate rear turn signals and brake lights. US cars (posibly due to Chrysler's intervention) got combined lamps. An electronic circuitry is inserted to "merge" the turn signal and brake light signals, located in the passenger side footwell. Thus, only one wire runs to the back of the car. Once at the taillight, there is no way to separate the two signals. On European cars, separate wires carry turn and brake signals. Thus, you will have to run an extra set of wires. A related problem is that the US model had dual brake lights (2 on each side) so with the Euro lamps, the computer will think you have a blown bulb on each side. Also, the turn signal will flash at the wrong rate unless you get a new flasher.

I was once very determined about making this conversion, so I assembled a whole kit with everything needed to bypass the brake light control module and make it entirely Euro spec: 10 meters of appropriate gauge European-made wiring in each of the four colors used in the European model, orignial terminals to interface with the brake light (not aftermarket spade plugs), the correct flasher for Euro tail lights and side repeaters, and of course Euro rear and side lamps. The tail lights are the no longer available ones with white turn signals as opposed to orange, and SAE/DOT stamps (in the life of the 164, they used three different designs). You will need to have a European diagram to really understand where to tap in to get your turn and brake signals.

I eventually decided not to go ahead with the conversion for the following reasons. The body cutouts for the tail lights are slightly different on US models; a set of "ears" are missing. The plastic piece covering the trunk side of the lamps is different; Euro ones are needed. When I take it to a mechanic or if I ever pass it on to a future owner, I would like it to be as described in the US Electrical Manual. The turn signals may actually not be all that visible in bright sun because the white (or orange) stripes reflect ambient light. The car is now so old that I want to go for a correct look. Lastly, if you look at Pininfarina's early sketches, the tail lights are just a monochromatic red stripe rather than the multicolored European one, so maybe we in the US lucked out and got something closer to Pinin's intentions.

Deespite all the above warnings, I will consider offers for the kit I assembled.

Sonny
'91 164 S
Baltimore

maxAid@domain.elidedm (remove ABC)