Re:Italo-English Translation

Regarding the term Spider (or Spyder) the Oxford English Dictionary has the first recorded use for the meaning "A lightly-built cart, trap, or phaeton with a high body and disproportionately large and slender wheels " appearing in the (London) Daily News in 1879. The term spider refers to the web-like appearance of the wheels.

Alex Swaim

Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 21:04:16 +0930
From: Paul Bayly <thebaylys@domain.elided>
Subject: Italo-English Translation

This will no doubt start an argument but here goes.

While looking for an appropriate number plate/registration number for a Spider, I found that the word was already in use on another vehicle (non-Alfa). So I started trying a few variations (Spida, Spieda, Spied-er etc etc) I don't wish to use 'spyder' or other variations using the letter Y and I am allowed up to seven digits.

It crossed my mind that I could use the Italian word for Spider. Having only a basic grasp of Australian-English, and no multi lingual skills at all, I consulted my trusty Italian dictionary which gives the word "Ragno" for spider.

1. Is this a correct translation for the animal/insect 'spider' ?

2. Why isn't the car called 'Ragno' in Italy ?

3. I've always assumed the 'spider' automotive term related to the animal, maybe I'm off the mark ?

Thanks
Beatle