Milano clutch pedal release not smooth

My brother has been complaining of a sticking clutch pedal in his '87 Milano 2.5L. When the car is parked and turned off, the pedal feels normal, but when he's driving he said it sticks briefly at various positions, but only upon engangement, and without making gearchanges noticably jerky. I have yet to drive it, so this is all second-hand. If it weren't for the normal behavior when the car is parked, I'd assume hydraulics. Any of you have any better suggestions?

-Joe