GTV-6 ignition: no vacuum retard?

Hey gang. I read through the manual a couple times and thought I figured out roughly what to do to time my GTV-6 ignition. It seems the vacuum retard (?) mechanism isn't working though. When I disconnect the vacuum line that runs from the top of the throttle body to the front of the vacuum doodad on the distributor, nothing happens. Is that part easy to fix or replace?

Without the vacuum retard, how should I time the car. I've got it at 5 degrees BTDC at idle right now, but it feels like it wants to advanced more. Would increased emissions be the only compromise if I advanced it to 10 degrees BTDC at idle?

Joe Elliott
'82 GTV-6