Re:Milano running temp and A/C drips

In a message dated 8/11/2003 12:47:57 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> ... while driving home from San Diego it was pretty hot. I had the
> A.C. on and noticed that the engine temp in my 88 Milano Verde was higher
> than I had ever noticed it before. I was on the freeway travelling anywhere
> from 70-80Mph and the needle got in between the 203 and 212 marks on the
> guage. At this point I was worried about the temp continuing to climb so I
> turned off the A.C. and opened the windows. The red light never came on.
> Once I did this the engine temp dropped back down to the more normal range
> of 185 - 195.
>
> So my questions are what is the max temp before the red light comes on and I
>
> begin to fry things?

Can't tell you the exact temp, nor will your dashboard indicator, but you
were probbaly far from it.  The Milano was not running hot, but running at speed
on a hot day with the A/C on will show an increase in coolant temp.  The small
increase you saw is no cause for concern.  An Alfa will also be more
efficient when it runs a little hotter.  I got this from Fred, so it is true, as well
as tested on acutual roads on an actual 87 Gold.

> noticed a couple of times some fluid dripping from under the car after I had
>
> stopped. That was what prompted me to check the coolant level. But when I
> saw the coolant looking normal I had just assumed that the drips were
> condensation from the A.C. unit.

Unless you are in the driest of deserts there will be some condensation
dripping when you stop the car after running the A/C.  The trick is to find the
place this is supposed to run out and make sure that's the only place you see the
water dripping.  Also, it should be plain, clear water, not bilious green
coolant.  Do no test it by tasting, though!

Keep cool.

Charlie
LA, CA, USA
84 GTV6