Re: Maserati vs. Alfa

Glen,

> I agree with your assessments about value
> and repair costs, but I disagree about the
> allure of the car (or the lack of it).
> I think they're cool. While I've never
> owned one, I've always been impressed by

Wait until you do, but I'm certainly not recommending
it. If/when you do, you'll probably change your
attitude, especially wrt to the 80's variety of the
specie.

> the interiors (beautiful leather and wood,
> like a Jaguar with Italian flair) and by the
> performance of the engines.

And the (lack of) handling that's displayed by an out
of alignment MGB.

> Keep in mind, the mid-80's Biturbos were
> still faster/quicker than the Alfas of the
> day. By '88 or '89 (when the 185hp Milano
> Verde was current), the Biturbos were REALLY
> fast. I think something like 250 or 260 hp.

Faster? Yes.

But they suffered serious problems in getting their
power onto the road, and in keeping the tyres in
contact with the road. Taking an 80's Mas out into the
rain was an exercise in bravery.

Or stupidity. I'll leave that to your judgement. :)

g.
Gary Stark
gstark@domain.elided
http://redbacksWeb.com