Daily Drivers

One of the beauties of the old (60s) Alfas that I haven't seen mentioned yet is
simplicity.   From casual observance and no hard numbers, the most frequently
asked about car on the Digest is the 164.   Closely followed by the Milano and
GTV6, then the Alfetta/Sports Sedan/Sprint Veloce quite a distance behind.
Spider questions are usually in the '84 and up category, with the occasional
Spica issue.  Number one Spider question? Tops of course.

(again, no statistics, just observation).

No gadgets to go wrong, no EFI to mess with, dirty grounds won't prevent the
car from running.  Add oil, water and gas.  Replace the plugs, cap, rotor and
points every year and drive, drive, drive.   An alternator and electronic
ignition are probably a good replacement.  Mechanical tach, mechanical speedo,
belt driven fan, what could go wrong?  (see another pattern forming here
regarding Alfa and electricity?)

Easy to work on, easy to learn, easy to maintain, no gadgets.  Sounds like a
winner to me.

I can't agree with the issues raised against.

Parts availablity:  What parts?  Biggest parts problem for these cars are
restoration parts.  Once the car is done, what else do you need?

Performance:  I don't think many 60's sports cars have trouble keeping up in
traffic.  It's not a 200hp Camry, but if you want 200hp, buy a Camry.

Resale:  See Camry

Downsides, and this is probably more opinion than fact:

Electrics:   They do require fixing from time to time, and preventative
maintenance cleaning connections.   However, we're only talking lights here on
this car so not that big a deal.

Weather:  I'd be reluctant to take my nice Guilia out in bad weather because I
had to go somewhere.   This is where the disposable Camry comes in handy.

Top:  Looks like top prices are on the rise, and vendors on the way down.
Quality looks mixed.   Causual observation shows different experiences from the
same vendors.   I guess there's things you should do to keep the top in good
shape.   Remembering to do them is another matter.

My choice would be a 60's Alfa sedan, but as Hertzman says, enjoy yours.

-Peter

'87 Verde
'67 Super